The Harbor Point Charitable Foundation provides financial support in several ways to organizations which support our mission. Awarding grants to worthy organizations is just one of those ways. We also provide significant financial support by distributing the proceeds from several special fundraising events which we produce each year. Also, we frequently serve as a sponsor of fundraising events produced by other organizations whose activities meet our criteria and support our mission.
The Foundation is currently in the midst of creating a more formal process for grant application submissions, review and awards. Therefore we recommend you check back here for updates to our procedures. However, we encourage you to make grant requests according to the following guidelines.
We look forward to hearing from you.
The Harbor Point Charitable Foundation makes grants primarily to nonprofit organizations that are exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Foundation does not make grants to individuals or for-profit organizations. In addition, the Foundation has a geographic limitation. In keeping with our own mission statement, we grant funds to be used for programs and services that affect residents of the San Francisco Bay Area.
Consideration for grants is limited to organizations whose programs support our overall mission.
The Harbor Point Charitable Foundation’s mission is to fund and facilitate the most promising organizations aimed at improving the quality of life for Bay Area adults and children in need. Our focus is two-fold: 1) To support innovative organizations dedicated to serving those adults and childern experiencing a current health crisis, and 2) To support educational, arts, athletic and nutritional programs at Bay Area institutions demonstrating a steadfast commitment to our children’s future.
Grant applications will be evaluated by the programs in which applicant organizations are engaged, the clients they serve, the procedures they use, the benefits and/or services they offer, the quality of their management, and general financing and fund-raising practices.
The Harbor Point Charitable Foundation does not support or provide funding for religious activities, program advertising, political parties, offices or candidates. In addition, the Foundation does not support the following:
- Organizations without 501(c)(3), tax-exempt, public charity status
- Organizations or projects outside the San Francisco Bay Area
- Religious organizations (unless engaged in a significant project benefiting the entire community, or benefiting Bay Area youth)
- Individuals (although some awards to institutions may be distributed to individuals in the form of scholarships and research funding)
How To Apply:
The Foundation will review each request that follows these funding guidelines. Requests should be submitted by August 1st of each year to be considered for the following calendar year. For example, proposals submitted by August 1, 2018 will be eligible for funds distributed for use in 2019.
In August our Grants Review Committee will begin its selection process. Then in November the Committee and the Board of Directors will make their final determination of grant recipients for the following year. Following selection, grant recipients will be informed of their awards by the end of the current year.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD the Harbor Point Charitable Foundation special grant application form.
In addition to your completed special grant application form, the following information must be included with your application:
- A copy of your 501(c)(3) tax-exempt letter from the Internal Revenue Service
- A list of your organization’s officers and directors, and their outside affiliations
- An audited financial report for the previous operating year
- An organizational budget for the current operational year (if your funding request is for a special project, the project budget should be included)
- A sample donor list showing federal (if applicable), corporate and foundation donors with amounts given for the past 12 months
- A sample newsletter or other recently published organizational information